Setting Goals and Intentions for the New Year
5 Great Goal & Intention Setting Tips
We’re a little over one week into the New Year and already people are falling back on some of their resolutions or goals. What are some of the ways that we can ensure that we succeed at goal & intention setting so as to achieve all we desire in 2017.
- I don’t care what anyone says. To be successful you HAVE to write your goals down and also keep them in a place were you can glance or refer to them frequently. Get a diary and just jot down all the amazing things you would like to achieve in the next year. This list is random and creative and it should flow but doesn’t necessarily have to have any rhyme or reason. Don’t worry if it seems hard to start just stick with it a bit. You can muse on areas of love, career, spirituality, home, family as some general headings to get started.
- Light a candle or incense or even smudge the area you are sitting in with sage. “Clear” the space or pray to a higher being for peace and guidance. Smells and sounds often help to calm the person as they are getting ready to set the tone for intentions.
- Be realistic about your goals and while we often use the acronym S.M.A.R.T. to refer to goal setting – I like to be a not more “loose” with the specifics and timing of goals allowing the Universe to provide (as it always does) in the divine timing that it has set. You do have to be realistic about goals – setting a goal to lose 50 lbs in 1 month is neither realistic or healthy, a better goal would be to break the task into smaller more achievable pieces such as a weight loss of 10lbs per month.
- Set goals that motivate you and set you on fire. You shouldn’t set goals just for the sake of setting goals. Goals should motivate and excite you set you on fire and ostensibly improve you in some area of your life!
- Make an action plan. Its great to make goals but the next step is crucial you need to make plans to achieve those goals. If your goal is to travel to Iceland or Machu PIccu get travel brochures, enquire about airfare and hotels, pick a date and plan on saving every week. Sites like SmartyPig allow you to save for your goals and will direct debit a set amount on a set schedule. Its great to have goals and dreams but the plans and steps to get there are equally important.
- Dream Big – OK this may be counterintuitive to the “be realistic” part of SMART goals – But go on have fun dream big. What would you really like to accomplish if someone told you you couldn’t fail. That beautiful farm & studio in Leitrim It will be yours (well mine) ! Running your own company, writing that novel or producing that movie. All are within reach !
Happy 2017 Dare to Dream Great Dreams – and make them all real in 2017 !
For more confidential help or if you have a topic you would like discussed – you can call me at 561-866-1211. Thanks Dolores
Synergy Health and Wellness Dolores@synergyhealthandwellness.net